Monday, May 2, 2016

IndyMini Week Has Arrived

Holy Crap!!  It's here!  On Saturday, I will be running 13.1 miles!  Those of you that remember me starting this blog know how much of an accomplishment this is.  Let me get into my week heading up to this so you can understand my emotions at the moment.You have a long way left before the end of the post :)


Wednesday, I did a training run on the treadmill.  I wanted to go outside, but the timing wasn't going to work out for me as I had other things to do that evening, so the treadmill it was.  Including warm up and cool down I did just under 4 miles in 55 minutes.  This was an easy run and I ran at a pace a little slower than I expect to run for the Mini.

I also posted another recipe last week.  I took some great pictures and got a couple nice compliments on it.  However, I won't be posting a new recipe this week because I have quite a bit going on with planning for the weekend and then heading to the expo on Friday.  You can expect more of these in the future.  They may be intermittent, but definitely keep an eye out.  I won't share it unless I think it is good.

This Sunday, I ran my final "long" run for my preparation.  This run was only an hour which has gotten to the point where it seems like little to nothing.  What 260+ pound guy says "Oh you know, it's only an hour."  Never in my life did I think I would say that.  The run was to be set as 30 minutes easy, 20 minutes goal marathon pace and 10 minutes easy.  I did the first 30 easy...kicked it up to 4.7 mph for the 20 minutes, but for the last 5 minutes cranked it up a tenth each minute resulting in a 5.1 at the end before i turned it back down for the last easy 10.  I know, I was flying right?  Just kidding, by no means is that an all out sprint, but after 45 minutes I feel like it was pretty good and I easily had plenty left in the tank.  With a sporadic as my training may have seemed during some points (i.e. February and March the most important parts) this made me feel like I will definitely accomplish my first goal on Saturday, which is to finish.

You may be able to tell by this point that I am pretty pumped about the 500 Festival Mini Marathon!  I hope you have the same feeling.  I have spent quite a few months preparing for this and it is all coming together. I have been spending quite a bit of time looking at FAQs on the Indy Mini website and checking out road closure times and etc to try and plan my time leaving the house on Saturday.  While doing so I have made a few discoveries.

The first discovery is the way that the LiveTrack feature works with my Garmin.  If you are 100% interested in following my progress please either leave your email in the comments below or send me a direct message through Twitter or Facebook.  If you do so, you will receive a link in your email from me on Saturday morning when I start the feed.  You will literally get to watch me head through the entire course at my actual speed.  It probably won't even look like that dot is moving on your screen, but I promise it will be.  I will also be sharing that same link on my Facebook account and through Twitter, but if you don't follow me for some weird reason or if not enough people like it/share it on Facebook you might miss it.  I know you all care about me and my progress so send me your emails.  You can even do it by signing up as a subscriber to my blog.  I will have your email listed there as well.

Here is what the app user screen looks.  Click on Tracking and Results

The second discovery is the IndyMini App and how useful it is.  If you download this wonderful app and you aren't able to sit and watch me or one of your other friends online you can set it up to get notified when people pass certain points in the race.  It will send you push notifications of SMS Text messages right to your phone.  I will have both of my brothers (my middle brother signed up this morning because his Saturday was available unexpectedly...don't worry he is actually training for a full marathon) sent as texts to me because I will be able to see those on my watch throughout the race and will be interested in how well they are doing.

This past weekend, I spent a lot of time perusing other runs in the near future.  I am trying to stay planned ahead as I want to maintain the feeling of having a goal to look forward to.  So, On Saturday, I talked with a few friends and we decided to sign up for one of the RUN(317) races to take place in June.  I am pretty pumped to take part in this series as I honestly thought about signing up for one of them last summer, but I missed the boat.  This year I signed up for the Mini-Series.  That means I will be running 3 of their races.  These three races will take place in Broad Ripple, Carmel, and Mass Ave. District in June, July, and September respectively.  The swag seems pretty nice...mostly glassware of sorts ;).  It will be fun to include a couple other people in my "runtourage" and running through different parts of Indy will be fun.  If you are interested in taking part in this series use this link to sign up or click on the picture below.


Also this week, I finally cracked Mrs. Re-Dan-imation!!  She is going to sign up to participate in a 5K with myself and the same friends that are going to run the 317 series.  This will be The Great Pumpkin Run and will be taking place in October.  She recently took a hiatus from running, but last week fired back up on a Couch to 5K reboot.  I am so pumped that she has decided to join in.  We will be starting a team for the event.  If we decide to open up the team to others we will be sure to share the code on here so you can join...If we don't I promise it is not because we are trying to be jerks about it and will probably be a case where we just want to keep it a small group of close friends.  This is another race that I almost signed up for last year, but I am glad I waited because it is being held at Dull's Tree Farm this year, which happens to be about an hour closer than last years event.



The last discovery I made is that when I put my mind to something I truly can accomplish it.  I had my doubts when I signed up for this race that I would put in the effort to actually train for it.  Well, I have done that and now all I have to do is complete it on Saturday.  As for my weight this week, well, I went up 0.8 lbs for a weight of 265.1 lbs.  I am ok with that.  I figure I will gain a little more weight this week until Saturday.  The plan is NOT to gorge myself after the race so that I can actually recover decently and be able to walk at school on Monday.  Next week I will have the recap of the race for you to read. If you think this post was long, I hope you have a few extra minutes next Monday as I plan on spending a good part of Sunday doing the write up so I can get it right.  Until next time...Food. Feet. Water. Repeat.  WISH ME LUCK ON SATURDAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment