Monday, May 16, 2016

What's next for Re-Dan-imation?


Well, I have truly achieved a goal I never thought I would conquer.  Not in my wildest dreams did I think about running 13.1 miles before I began this journey!  I have watched my brothers do fairly well in running through their careers and have gone on to continue to stay in shape.  My middle brother will even be completing his first full marathon in July.  With all this being said, it's kind of interesting to try and decide where to go from here.  So, here's what's in store for me.

First and foremost...I WILL be running more races.  I have found some events that sound interesting and work well with my schedule.  I figure what better way to share them than by putting them out here for everybody to read and join in if they would like.


But first, some news from school.  I had to wait until it was approved by our school board, but I will be the new co-coach for our elementary cross country team.  That's right I will be sharing this role with another person as we begin the program at the elementary level for our corporation!!  Can you imagine this former couch potato coaching a sport he has only watched in the past?!  I'm pretty stoked to get into it next fall.


Now, here come the races!  The first race I will be taking part in is actually a series of races.  The series is called Run(317) and each race is held in different areas of Indianapolis...hence the 317.  Also each race is 3.17 miles instead of the normal 3.1 (again to fit with the area code).  I have to admit that the swag for these races doesn't hurt as you get something related to beer at each event.  If you are interested in this event I am participating in the June, July, and September events to be held in Broad Ripple, Mass Ave, and the Carmel Arts District.  Click here to find more information and to sign up.  The complete series consists of 5 races but I signed up for the 3 race mini-series. I have also talked some friends and my father in-law into joining in for the June 16th event to be held in Broad Ripple.  We would love to have more people sign up and join us!


The next race is one I have heard good things about online.  This is the Mill Race Marathon in Columbus, IN.  I will again be running a half marathon at this event.  I still want to beat that 3 hour goal I set for the mini and I think with a little better speed work, plus some more long runs that I might be able to do just that.  Plus, a totally cool side not about this race is that every finisher of the half and full marathon are entered in to a contest to win a brand new Dodge truck with a Cummins diesel engine.  Cummins is the title sponsor.  Not that I plan on winning that...but wouldn't it be cool?! For more information, or to register for this race...click here.


Recently, I was approached by one of my friends to participate in The Great Pumpkin Run in October.  I actually almost signed up for this race last year and was super glad she suggested it.  This year we signed up as a team and a few of us even decided to try the extra challenge where you carry a pumpkin through the entire 5K and earn an extra medal for your efforts.  Oh yeah, this will be the first 5K participation for Mrs. Re-Dan-imation.  I am super excited that she agreed to join in on the fun.  This event is on October 8th and will be held at Dull's Tree Farm in Thorntown, IN which is just down the road from us!!  If you want to sign up as a member of our team let me know and I will give you the info to sign up as a team member.  More information can be found here.


The next race I have registered for is another half marathon.  This one is to be held on November 5th and is called the Monumental Marathon.  This is another half and full that gets great reviews.  I love downtown Indy and the route for this race takes you by some great features.  It also fit pretty well on the calendar.  I am pretty excited about this one as it is the longest goal I have set for right now being that it is roughly 6 months out.  If you are interested in this event, more information can be found here.  Also, apparently this race sells out every year, so if you are actually interested in signing up, set that goal now and register early.


The last race that I have currently signed up for is the 2016 Drumstick Dash.  This race, although not my first race, is the one that really got me into the sport.  Seeing 19,000 people, on Thanksgiving Morning, at the start line last year and actually going to an expo for an event really got me amped up to participate.  I also was a fund-racer for this event last year and I will be doing the same thing again this year.  Last year, I was able to raise $600 for the Wheeler Ministries to help feed the homeless of Indianapolis.  This year my goal is to raise $1,000.  I think I have started early enough to achieve that goal and then some.  You may have noticed the donate area on the right side of the blog.  If you would like to make a donation please use this area to head directly to my donation page.  All donations are tax deductible and each $2.25 that is donated will provide a meal for one person in need. If you would like to sign up for this race simply click here for more info.

I am sure I will probably sign up for at least one race in December, if not more.  But, those are yet to be decided upon.  If you have any races you have signed up for and would like to share please do so below.  I have definitely been lacking in the comments on the actual blog, so any would be welcome. Also, like always, don't forget to sign up to "follow my progress" above and to the right.  Simply put in your e-mail and you will get an update every time I post to the blog.

And finally, for my weight this week.  Exactly the same as last week at 267.5 lbs.  I did get a couple short runs in this week along with some grass mowing and yard work, but I ate nowhere near as well as I should have.  I am back on the plan and have a feeling this number will improve next week.  Until next time.  Food. Feet. Water. Repeat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment