Monday, January 4, 2016

Hello 2016!

The new year provides a time for reflection over the past year.  I have thought back about the changes I have made over the past year and I find that I am pretty proud of myself.  I did a lot of soul searching last year and decided that some things needed to change.  Not the least of which was my overall health.  So 39 weeks ago, I made a change for the better.  I decided to start eating better and moving more.  So far it has worked, but I have a LONG way to go.

As I think back, I also remember times I could have done better.  I remember times I have done well, but the more difficult times stick out in my mind.  I want to be better at remembering and celebrating the good times I have.  I will work on that.

True distance!
My plans for the next year are only looking up.  I have struggled during the holidays to maintain my fitness program, but to be honest, I kind of expected that.  I have a training plan to follow that I just started this past Sunday.  I am glad that it is laid out for me and should prepare me to run the entire 500 Festival Mini Marathon in May.  That seems like a long way away, but it will be here sooner than I know it and I have to be prepared.

Uhhhh????!!!
I did make some improvements this week regarding my running.  Yesterday, I was to complete my long run for the week.  The time for the long run was to be 50 minutes.  This is longer than I have run in the past.  However, this long run was supposed to be at an easy pace, so I did my best to push through.  I set the pace at 13:45/mile and headed off.  I managed to finish the entire run and I think it put me at about 3.6 miles.  I am not sure exactly because my overall distance included the warm up and cool down walking times.  This obviously was not record setting according to speed, but it was for length of time for continual running.  I also tried out my new Garmin Forerunner 235 during this workout because it has an indoor running feature.  However, apparently I need to calibrate it because it thought I was running a 10:00 mile the entire time and calculated that I ran 4.93 miles during the 50 minutes.  The heart rate was also off considerably.  I am hoping that using the watch more and more will continue to improve its accuracy.  I have a feeling completing an outside run at some point will help with that as well.

Thanks John!!
Also, this week I should be picking up our new treadmill when it arrives at the store.  I can't wait to get it and set it up.  This is not something I would have purchased in the past and it was a family purchase considering it was Mrs. Re-Dan-imation's idea to buy.  This will not only help me maintain my fitness, but it will also get Mrs. Re-Dan-imation a little more active as well.  I know she reads this every time I write it and I am not saying that she needs to increase her fitness, but I like knowing that she has the opportunity to do so.  I would LOVE it if she would sign up to complete a run with me in the near future, even if we have to run/walk it.  It isn't about the competition, it is about the sense of accomplishment.  Who knows if she will sign up for one, but if she does I will make sure that all of you are the first to know.

As the year begins, don't think about something to CHANGE but about a way to IMPROVE.  Strive to do better and and be better.  When I stepped on the scale this morning it showed 262.2 lbs.  That is an increase of 0.2 lbs which I basically consider no movement.  I'll take it.  Much better than the last couple weeks.  Now, let's see how I do in the weeks ahead as I get back into the routine of things.  Until next week...Food. Feet. Water. Repeat. (Speaking of that slogan...I have included a picture of that personalized medal/bib display after I hung it up...looks pretty good)


No comments:

Post a Comment