Monday, September 21, 2015

Just Missed!

It's been a pretty good week overall. As I sit here watching middle school volleyball I am thinking over my week and would consider it a success. In the past week, I have started Lego league after school programming, stayed for a late school meeting, just finished a Sunday/Monday professional development session and still managed to help my wife with her online class and get in a couple of workouts.

The professional development sessions I attended the past two days revolved around reading and writing and they are aimed at improving and exciting the attendees with their teaching. However, I occasionally caught myself thinking about applying some of the things I am learning as I am writing this blog. I don't think this is due to my lack of focus but instead a sure sign that I am not only a teacher, but I am still a student. 

The ability to persevere is a key item I have been reading about as a requirement for a true runner. That's something I definitely worked on this week. My first run this week I felt a little less than strong. I was struggling to keep my pace. I considered cutting my run a couple tenths of a mile short. But, I pushed through. I slowed my pace a little but maintained a constant speed. I didn't cut the distance short and instead overcame during the mental aspect. I finished! 

Last night, I didn't have to persevere. Last night was my first "long, slow distance."  I reached another milestone when I managed to maintain a 13:20 pace on the treadmill for 3.1 miles. I was even able to pump up the last two tenths between a 11:00 and 12:00 pace.  That's right folks...I know now that I can physically finish the distance in October. Needless to say, I felt a little good about myself. Now it is about working on improving my speed and overall fitness. 

I stepped on the scale this morning to find another 0.9 lbs lost. That puts my weight at 264.4. If you have been reading along through this you will know that I started this journey at 294.3. I have now lost 29.9 lbs. I JUST MISSED 30!  I was a little aggravated until I received an email from FitBit. Apparently their theory is "ehh...close enough" because they sent me an email to congratulate me on my 30 pound loss complete with a badge. You know what?  I'll take it 😀. Until next week...Food. Feet. Water. Repeat!!
P.S.  Here's the badge!

No comments:

Post a Comment