Tuesday, June 14, 2016

In the Aftermath

Before, I get into my blog this week, I want to take a quick second to share my thoughts about the terrible events from this weekend.  The only thing I think of when I hear the word Orlando is the happiest place on Earth.  I have been lucky enough to visit this city on three separate occasions.  Twice in high school we traveled to Disney and once on our honeymoon when we traveled to Sea World.  I only think of happy times when I think of this city.  I will not let one person ruin a wonderful place in my memory.  Jimmy Fallon, one of my favorite celebrities put it a way that I like the most.  He said...

"As you certainly know by now, early Sunday morning there was another senseless shooting, this time at a dance club in Orlando, Florida. A dance club. It left 49 people dead, which is the largest loss of life due to a terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11. I know everyone is angry right now and doesn't know how to react, and this is a time when people are looking to us as a country and how we will react. This country was built on an idea that we don't agree on everything; that we are a tolerant, free nation that encourages debate, free-thinking, believing, or not, in what you choose..."

"Maybe there's a lesson from all this. A lesson in tolerance. We need to support each other's differences and worry less about our own opinions. Get back to debate and away from believing or supporting the idea that if someone doesn't live the way you want them to live, you just buy a gun and kill them. Bomb them up. That is not OK. We need to get back to being brave enough to accept that we have different opinions and that's OK, because that is what America is built on. The idea that we can stand up and speak our minds and live our lives and not be punished for that, or mocked on the internet, or killed by someone you don't know. This was just one bad guy here. 49 good people and one bad guy, and there will always be more good than evil. When I think of Orlando, I think of nothing but fun and joy and families. If anyone can do it, you can. Keep loving each other. Keep respecting each other. And keep on dancing."

-Jimmy Fallon



Last week was a blur.  I spent the entire week teaching children how to build, operate and program EV3 Lego Robots.  This is my second year spending a week teaching students these skills during the summer. We even got to take a tour of a portion of the Purdue Robotics Lab and meet a robot named Darwin that is dedicated to his fitness as well.  Check him out in the video playing a little soccer.  Having spent so much time with these kids during the week, you may wonder whether or not I was able to get in my workouts this week.

If you follow me on twitter you will see that I got in at least one workout this week as I mentioned that it was a little rough.  Wednesday was a little chilly but I finished it up.  Thursday, Mrs. Re-Dan-imation and I got our workout in as well.  As for Sunday, well the humidity kicked up a bit and the temperature was up about 10 degrees from the Wednesday run.

Sunday was supposed to be an easy 1 hour run.  Well, I started out strong, but I could tell the humidity was playing games with me.  I managed to get my second mile down a little faster than my first one, but as I got about halfway through mile 3 I could tell I was beginning to struggle.  As I finished mile 3 I decided to take a quick walk break and take a drink of the water I decided to bring along today.  Gotta love my SPIBelt H20!  I'll still promote them here, even though I applied to be an ambassador of theirs, but sadly wasn't selected.  Maybe next year.  After walking for a quarter mile I felt I was ready to get back into my run and I finished my hour with 4.15 miles.

The fact that I was working all week actually meant good things for my nutrition.  I was required to wake up early, eat at least 3 meals a day, and spread out my calories.  I enjoyed some great fruits, veggies, and hummus.  I still went over my calorie allotment a coupe days, so I wasn't really sure what my weight had in store for me at the end of the week.
The temp may have been 90, but still a great day!
On MondayI woke up and stepped on the scale to find 265.3 lbs.  That's right folks....up 1 tenth of a pound.  I would rather be even.  I hate that I got in ALL of my workouts and my stupid eating (especially in the evening) caused me not to lose a single ounce of weight.  Such is life I guess, right?  Oh well, I still celebrated by taking the doors off the Jeep on Monday to drive around in the wonderful weather.  It took a while for Mrs. Re-Dan-imation to grow accustomed to the slight breeze, but it was a great time.  This week I will be participating in the Run(317) Broad Ripple event with family, friends, and even my father in-law participating as well.  I'm looking forward to having a big group of people there.  Also, tomorrow my brother and his wife will be heading to Seattle to enjoy a vacation planned around them both running a full marathon.  I am so excited to hear how it goes for them!  Lots of great things to look forward to this week.  Especially Food. Feet. Water. Repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment