Monday, June 8, 2015

Brick by Brick

We meet again!  For the last week, while most of the teachers in my building were enjoying their first week of a well deserved summer vacation, I was helping teach a Lego Robotics class.  For this class, the students build a robot based around a smart "Brick", learn about programming the brick and then try to complete missions with their robot.  There wasn't a single minute that the kids weren't excited about being there.  They were constantly working with their robots, trying to come up with new ways of attaching moving arms, or adding tasks to their already completed missions.

However, spending a week cooped up in a basement all day with flickering flourescent light bulbs didn't do a lot for my workout plan.  Teaching the class was well worth the additional money earned for summer break, but I was worried it was going to negatively effect my weight loss plan.  You'll have to wait until the end of the post to see if it ruined my week or not.

I thought I was going to be exhausted and ready for my break to begin on Friday afternoon, but our local YMCA needed some help at their fireworks extravaganza and had asked the Jaycees to help out.  Turns out the dunk tank was the area in need of help so a few of us decided to man it for the good cause.  Luckily, I didn't have to actually get in the tank, but I did pick up the softballs for about 3 hours while my friends took all the plunges.  We were able to raise some money for a good cause and we had a little fun while doing so.  If you live in or around Frankfort, don't forget to come check out the YMCA Fireworks Extravaganza next year.  We didn't stick around for the fireworks after, but we could hear them from our house.  We get enough fireworks on the 4th to last us for the entire year. 


I know...my beard needed trimmed up (sorry)
On Saturday morning, I finally had a chance to get in a work out for the first time all week.  I wanted to put my new Quadlock Bike Mount to the test, so I clicked my phone into the mount and took off.  I didn't exactly have a plan of where I was going to ride, I just knew I wanted to ride for an hour (breaks not included).  I started riding around town and then decided I was going to go a little further than anticipated.  I took a right and headed west out of Frankfort.


About a mile or so outside of town I headed north.  I now had a plan of where I was going.  I decided to ride out to the cemetery to see Korban's grave.  Don't worry, I wasn't sad about anything, it just seemed like a good turn around point.  Also, I wanted to see the pinwheel and flowers that had recently been placed out there.  So, I pedaled hard and made it there in about 30 minutes after I had left home.  I took a break at the cemetery and then planned the next part of the route.



After I left the cemetery I headed out onto State Road 39, a pretty busy road for a pudgy guy on a mountain bike (eventually I will have a road bike).  As I was coming back into town I decided to get off the highway and headed through the parking lot of one of the local elementary schools.  When I came out of the parking lot, I was surprised to find the ribbon cutting ceremony for a local park the community had just refurbished.  I stopped long enough to take a couple pictures of the nice new digs at the park and then headed home (total distance of 11 miles).  I haven't talked Mrs. Re-Dan-imation into heading back out on the Monon, but I have a feeling I will get her back there soon.

I know I haven't put a healthy recipe up here for a bit, but we will be trying something new this week and I will make sure to tell you all how it turns out next Monday.  Right now, let's finish up this week.    How did this week turn out?  Well, when I weighed in on Sunday I tipped the scale at 276.8 lbs. giving me a total weight loss of 17.5 lbs. overall.  Another good week for me!!  I also received a couple comments on Facebook this past week that there were some people reading my blog on a regular basis and that I was inspiring them.  What an honor to hear that from anyone!!  I hope that those people continue to read these posts and that the inspiration continues.  My entire purpose for writing this blog is to get my story down in written words because my memory is so terrible, but the fact that I can help other people is an added bonus.  Cheers to all of you going through the same process as me or considering a change in your life.  DO IT NOW!!!  Tomorrow is always tomorrow and change begins today!! Begin your own reanimation!!

Until next time!      Food. Feet. Water. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment