Monday, May 18, 2015

A Dime a Dozen

Welcome to the latest installment!  Previously on Re-Dan-imation...I mentioned consistency...a favorite breakfast was found, and I hit double digits in my weight loss journey.  In this week's episode we discuss a new recipe attempt, a technological upgrade, and the inclusion of one or two certain types of dozen.

Let's begin by talking about the new recipe attempt.  Last week while grocery shopping at Fresh Thyme in Lafayette we were able to pick up some salmon so, I decided to try a recipe I had found in a post by another blog named Fit Foodie Finds.  Clicking on that link will take you to a recipe for Maple Dijon Baked Salmon Skewers.  The recipe included Salmon, brussel spouts, and quinoa.  After we tried it were were definitely honest with each other about our thoughts.  Neither of us enjoyed the brussel sprouts (this is the second time we have tried the vegetable and neither time have we liked them).  We did enjoy the salmon and the quinoa and think that we will try these again in the future with a different vegetable.  Check out how they looked when they were done cooking.

Now for the reason I was lacking in my actual running progress this week.  The story behind this is actually quite ironic.  As my Fitbit has recently started to disintegrate on the wrist side, I decided it was time to take the company up on their recall of my device and get an upgrade.  So, I packed up my coupons and headed to Dicks Sporting Goods to purchase my new Fitbit Charge HR.  I already needed to head to the store to exchange some shorts for my wife (one of these days she will learn that I know what size clothes she wears better than she does) so I didn't even think about calling ahead.  Well, after finding the right size shorts, I found that the stock of Charge HRs was completely depleted.

So, on Wednesday, I called another DSG store and found that they did in fact have a Charge HR and they put it on hold for me.  I drove to this store, made my purchase and headed home.  Finally, I was able to try on my new technology and check out my heart rate.  The ironic part is that I spent two evenings hunting for my new device by riding around in my car rather than increasing my step count for the week as Fitbit would have hoped I would do.  It's ok though...When I got home I was able to monitor my heart rate while I mowed the lawn and I stayed in a fat burn heart rate zone almost the entire time.  It's really pretty cool to see the graph.  On Saturday night, during my "last chance workout" I can see where I was running at a constant speed, when I walked, and when I sprinted simply by looking at the change in my heart rate.  It is also pretty cool that it calculates my resting heart rate by wearing it to bed along with the fact that I no longer have to press the button to start the sleep monitoring because it detects when I am asleep instead.

Last, but not least, we move on to the dozens.  Before we talk about those dozens we must finish up the week.  Saturday was #FitbitGoalDay and I pledged to participate on my Twitter and Facebook feeds.  However, my brother-in-law asked me to join him on a trip to Lafayette which resulted with me buying the most amount of fruit I have bought in quite some time (definitely not a bad thing).  However, this trip cut down considerably the amount of steps I had planned on gaining by doing some much needed yard work.  So, I decided that I had made a pledge and needed to follow through. So, I completed my "last chance workout" on the treadmill late Saturday night.  Good thing I did.  The scale Sunday morning showed a 1.7 lb weight loss.  I TOLD YOU I WAS CONSISTENT!!!  There is the first dozen.  Those 1.7 lbs put me at a total weight loss of 11.9 lbs. (I'm calling it 12).  The second dozen came in after weigh in on Sunday morning.  We were watching some friends' children that day and their aunt provided us with a dozen scrumptious donuts to share among the family.  I will admit that I broke and had 2 donuts, but went on a walk with the children and the in-laws Sunday afternoon to work them off.

One more cool thing happened this week.  If you remember from this earlier post, I had left a comment on an article called A Weight Loss Manifesto about wanting to create a shirt with permission from the Author Amby Burfoot.  I received a message that a response had been written to my comment and when I went to look I was surprised to see the author had written me back.  Check out the screenshot below to see what he wrote.
Needless to say, I have been working on a design.  However unless a large number of these shirts are ordered, say 20 or more, they are pretty expensive for a simple shirt.  So I have attached the shirt idea below.  If you are interested, please leave a comment on here.  If there is enough interest, I will open their online ordering process so you can pay on your own and it will get shipped to you.  If you don't like it let me know too.  I am ok with a little constructive criticism.  The design is below.  Front followed by the bottom.  Until next week's episode.  FOOD. FEET. WATER. REPEAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment